Safety Debated With Students use of Uber

Logan Potts, Staff Writer

Need a lift? Get out your phone and use the Uber app if you’re ever in serious need of a ride. Uber was founded in 2009 by Garrett Camp and Travis Kalanick. In addition, Uber has been one of the fastest growing companies in the world. According to recode.net, Uber gave 4 million rides in 2017 alone. In May 2017, it just hit 5 million rides total. The Uber app allows you to enter where you are, where you need to go, and they will send a driver to come pick you up and take you where you need to go. The app allows you to see who is picking you up and you can read customer reviews on the driver. There have been arguments on whether Uber is unsafe even with all the safety precautions they have.
“I think it’s safe because Uber tracks where you go,” senior Phoebe King said. “You can also share your ride status with someone so if for some reason you feel unsafe you can share your ride status with your friends or family and they can see when you reach your destination.”
People believe that Uber can not only be unsafe for passengers, but also for the drivers.
“There have been stories where the passengers attack the driver and it’s hard to tell if your passenger is safe because although the passengers receive a rating as well, there are no comments,” King said.
Remember the app if you need a ride, but always make sure to read reviews to keep yourself as safe as possible.