The Last Hurrah

Claudia Sanders, Staff Writer

Everybody loves pranks, right? For many years high school seniors have been doing pranks as a sort of “last hurrah” and a send-off into their summer. Most pranks are harmless but there has been some that have caused some seniors to not walk in graduation. One prank that was thought to be harmless was from the class of 2015 was when the seniors poured oil on one of the hallways causing many of their peers to slip and slide through the halls of Central. “My freshman year the seniors put baby oil all over the floor on the ramps and did a huge slip and slide in hell hallway,” said senior DeAndre Campbell. Although they didn’t mean to hurt anyone, it was a huge liability issue that came with harsh consequences. This year, the class of 2018 had to keep their pranks under control in order to have fun while still being safe.

Because of the rules set in place by the school administrators, the class of 2018 had to think of ideas that wouldn’t cause much punishment. “Well saying that we didn’t really have any(pranks) at all, it would probably be the water balloons even though it completely failed, but at least someone threw one at dr.maize, which made it fun,” said senior, Nick Arciszewski. Campbell agreed with Arciszewski that the water balloon was the best prank that they participated in.  Although they didn’t have much wiggle room with what they could or could not do, they were still creative with their pranks while having a good time.

In addition to the water balloon fight, the seniors had daily dance parties in the middle of the most crowded and hectic hallway known as “hell hall”. “Even though it’s not really a prank, I really liked the hallway parties! They’re really fun just to frazzle everyone and just have fun with the grade,” said senior, Phoebe Wolkowitz. They were able to get away with their more harmless pranks like these because it’s hard to break up a large number of students while music is blaring from the seniors loud, portable speakers.

A prank that they weren’t able to get away with was blocking the parking lot entrance with bags of sand and bricks. This prank was shut down by faculty in under 5 minutes. When I asked these seniors if there were any pranks they would’ve done Arciszewski, Campbell, and Wolkowitz all agreed that had there been fewer rules, they would’ve wanted to do more.

Senior pranks are a good way for all the seniors to come together one last time before graduation to have a good time and make memories that they will all remember and cherish throughout the rest of their lives.