On the way to Israel

Students visit the Jewish homeland with varied purpose

Junior+Brette+Gershenson+and+friends+sitting+on+a+statue+at+the+Israeli+art+museum.+Photo+courtesy+of+Brette+Gershenson.+

Junior Brette Gershenson and friends sitting on a statue at the Israeli art museum. Photo courtesy of Brette Gershenson.

Gabby Abowitz, Photography Editor

Over the summer it is routine for some kids to go on vacation. Most kids that are Jewish wish to travel to Israel. Many kids this past summer went with different Jewish organizations with other kids their age. But traveling to Israel can be difficult. Some students struggled with steep airfare prices and others dreaded the long flight.
Junior Allie Chervitz experienced something different. As soon as she sat down on the plane she got sick.
“I could not breathe out of my nose and I was sitting right next to the bathroom and I literally used all of the tissues in both of the bathrooms,” Chervitz said.
She decided to go to Israel because she believes the summer going into junior year is when most people go.
“I realized I wasn’t doing anything and it was my first year not being a camper and I have always wanted to go to Israel and have been talking about it and ever since my brother went. This year I’ve been extremely excited and I’ve heard many great things,” Chervitz said.
Chervitz went to Israel for 20 days and with the group she went with they planned to go to all of they major cities and seas in Israel.
“I could only pack a limited amount and I accidentally over packed and I had to rewear clothes but other clothes I didn’t wear at all,” Chervitz said.
She traveled through BBYO passport which “is a group where I didn’t know anyone and I purposely chose this group to go with so it can be a more personal experience” Chervitz said.
“My favorite part was meeting all of the people on my trip. Also getting to stay in different kibbutzim which is a little village where the Israelites live. And it was super cool to be apart of their community and see how things work and we got to see how they live,” Chervitz said.
For sophomore Brette Gershenson, it was a different experience. Before, her group left to Israel the Rabbi from United Hebrew came to the airport and they all stood under the chuppah and she gave them a blessing to have a safe trip.
Once she boarded the aircraft, “The plane was a lot bigger than I was expecting because I’ve never been on an international flight. It was a super long flight and it was difficult to sleep,” Gershenson said. Brette could also only pack up to 50 pounds in a suitcase and bring a backpack for hiking.
“I went through Israel Bound through the Jewish Federation because the trip was through United Hebrew and that’s the temple I attend…I knew a lot of friends going from the sleep away camp I go to” Gershenson said.
“My favorite part was getting to know everyone on my trip and trying new things like repelling, banana boating, and camel riding. I also really liked seeing all of the history and culture there,” Gershenson said.
Sophomore Mia Hollander had a difficult plane ride over seas.
“The flight was really long because we had layovers in New York and Switzerland which made it even more tiring that it already would be,” Hollander said.
Her favorite part was going to a beach in Tel Aviv.
“The view was really breathtaking and it just really put things into perspective of where I was and how thankful I am to have to opportunity to experience this,” Hollander said.