Okpara Sisters Do Track Together

Freshman Nnenna Okpara, and senior Ogechi Okpara posing on the track in their track uniforms on Monday, 3/11. Photo courtesy of Nnenna Okpara.

Carly Wasserman, Staff writer

Ogechi and Nnenna Okpara are not just sisters but also best friends. Running is one main hobby that bonds these two sisters together. Nnenna cannot wait to start the track season and run with her sister, but just because they’re close, doesn’t mean they won’t compete with one another and try to break each other’s records.

“I just love my sister, so running with her is always fun,” Nnenna said.

Ogechi is ready for some competition. Now that Nnenna is at the high school with her, they finally get to be be on the same track team together.

“I think it will be a competition because we’re both really fast,” Ogechi said. “It’s going to be really competitive but it will also be fun.”  

Ogechi is a senior and has been running track for seven years. Her younger sister Nnenna is currently a freshman and started running in elementary school. Nnenna took part in her first meet in sixth grade.These sisters love having fun together while also competing against one another. Although they never practice running outside of school together, Ogechi knows how to train for the season since she has been a part of the track team at Central High for the past four years. Now that the season is just beginning, Ogechi has begun to eat more healthy.

“I completely cut out junk food. That includes chips, sweets, and soda,” Ogechi said. “Everything I eat consists of vegetables, protein, and a lot of carbs but not too much. I do this so I can feel lightweight when I’m running.”

This past winter Nnenna played basketball for the school. When it is not basketball or track season, Nnenna still continues to condition, but also makes sure to equally concentrate on her school work.

“I do some conditioning, but I really use my time to focus on school,” Nnenna said.

“During both seasons, I have to manage every minute and make sure to prioritize. During the off-season, I have a lot of time to focus on school which helps a lot.”

Just like Nnenna, Ogechi also works out a lot in her off season.

“I put in a lot of work at the gym, which occurs mostly over the summer,” Ogechi said. “This helps with my conditioning for when track starts back up. I also love to tutor kids that need help in math, whenever I’m free.”

Nnenna doesn’t care much about what event she will be running, but if she had a choice, she would want to run the 400 and be in the 4×400 relay.

“I’ll just be doing the 400, the 200, as well as the sprint relays,” Ogechi said.

Both girls have big goals for the season and plan to stay positive and motivated.

“My goal for the season is to beat my previous four hundred time and just to get better as a runner. What I’m going to do is tell myself everyday if I want to get better, I have to keep pushing myself,” Nnenna said.

“By looking up to my older teammates who are leaders, I know I can become the best I can.”

Ogechi had a good season last year, which helps her set some good goals for this spring season.

“I will basically do what I did last year, and that’s remain positive. Even during the hard workouts, I will constantly tell myself I can do it,” Ogechi said.

“That helps a lot because that’s what I did last year and I was able to drop ten seconds off my four hundred. So, I think that if I just keep the same mentality and continue to encourage my other teammates around me to do better, then we can all be successful.”