Dynamic Duo

Both basketball teams ready for the season.

Coach Mueller talking to sophomore Cameron Harris

Brooke Kraizer, Staff Writer

The winter is here which means, basketball season is arising and both Girls and Boys basketball are ready to make some history. The Parkway Central Basketball team had a successful season last year, after placing third in the state. Some may ask what’s next?

Their roster consists of five returning varsity players plus seven new players. With this roster and history this team seems to have everything they need to be successful. Jayla Kelly, Claudia Cook,Maggie  Huff, Kennedy Moore and Brooke Hilton are returning players who are essential for the team’s victory. Kennedy Moore, a senior and returning varsity player said one of her goals is to “get back to state and hopefully get further.”

Moore has been playing basketball since she was young and liked that as you grow in age, the sport becomes more intense.  The girls basketball team is coached by by Brian Guilfoyle and assisted by Paul Hussman. Although some may think that it is all about winning, the girls and the coaches also like to focus on teamwork and friendship aspect. 

Wagner
Girls basketball coaches from left to right: Stephanie Baker, Paul Hussman, Brian, Guilfoyle, Todd Beffa and Kalyah Moore

“Every year our goal is to get better. We focus on the attitude, work ethic and fundamentals,” Guilfoyle said. 

Maggie Huff (sophomore) is a returning varsity player who played last year as a freshman. Last year she averaged 0.2 baskets per game.

“I want to be a good role player and work well with others,” Huff said. This emphasis on Guilfoyle’s idea of teamwork because being able to work with others can help them have a successful season. “So far the team is working really well together,” Huff said. Teamwork is a big part of the game and that “chemistry” that is built can help bring the team back to state. 

The Boys Basketball team was successful last year with making it to the first round of districts losing to De Smet.  Boys basketball is ready for this season.

“I want to win 20 games, a conference championship and a district championship,” senior Tyler Wessel said. Wessel and a few of his other teammates shared that this was a common goal for them as a team. Coach Aaron Mueller also said that he wishes to accomplish those wins but 

“If we don’t achieve those goals, it does not necessarily signify that the season was not a success,” Wessel said.

Mueller has identified different strengths certain players had. 

Devion led the team last year with 458 points, he is an asset to this team.“Devion Harris will be a force inside and outside. He has added another level of explosiveness and strength and should be very difficult to defend,” Mueller said.

“Cameron Roberts will continue to do all the little things that lead to success, like rebounding, getting loose balls, defending, and setting screens. Coaches hope he will step up his scoring a little bit this year.Mueller said. Last year he averaged 1.1 baskets a game.

“Deuce Harris will run the point and so far has really been a leader on the floor and has been comfortable running the show.” Mueller said about senior Deuce Harris

Tyler Wessel has the ability to really shoot the ball and is working to add some other dimensions to his game to make him a versatile player.” 

Mueller said “Hunter King and Brandon McKinley with both be spark plugs to our team with their energy, enthusiasm, and unselfishness.” 

Each player brings something different to the floor and with the differences the team can pull together to be successful. 

Both teams are set up for success with the different types of athletes they have. Things are looking bright for Parkway Central Basketball’s future.