The Student News Site of Parkway Central High School

Corral

Students need to pick-up the trash

The bleachers after students left the gym after watching the home-opener against Parkway North.

Corral Staff

The bleachers after students left the gym after watching the home-opener against Parkway North. Photo by Ms. Stepanek

For the normal teenager, every place they go they make a mess and never clean it up. Cleaning up their room,  picking up clothes around the house, or throw away their trash after eating a meal are all problems that many movies, television shows and comics make fun of, and we all know it is true.

Why has society come to accept the fact that throwing trash on the ground and leaving uneaten food all over sporting venues is an acceptable action? It is bad enough at professional sporting events that  you cannot even move your feet by the end of the game without kicking an empty soda can, or a hot dog wrapper. Now this disgusting habit has invaded our school and continues to get increasingly worse.

At professional sporting events paid groundskeepers spend the night cleaning up to make sure the stadium is spotless. At a high school the few custodians working don’t really enjoy the cleanup.  More specifically, they find it less enjoyable after late night games near the end of their shifts.It is not an enjoyable task having to clean up all night, not being able to go home especially when the students who have decided to throw all kinds of trash into the bleachers is at an amount where it piles up.

As students continue to throw the trash into the bleachers keep in mind the one or two articles of trash a student brings to the game could easily be picked up at the end. The students would only have to carry it a hundred feet to the lobby where many trash cans and recycling bins conveniently sit for the students. By the way fans, you won’t be doing any extensive work besides watching a game. Watch all of the athletes who work hard for a game, and pay attention as they clean up the cups, towels, and bottles that they leave around the bench area. Yes, they do make it spotless and our fans need to quit being lazy and do the same.