Corral

Parkway Central students walk out to honor Parkland shooting victims and demand change

Corral Staff

Colts Demand Action, a student-run anti-gun violence group at Parkway Central, took a slightly different approach to the National School Walkout.  Students marched to the flagpole at 9:25 a.m. on Wednesday where dozens listened to speakers including seniors Hannah Maurer, Ashley Berghoff, and Zoë Rosenberg.

“We are Generation Gun Violence….We cannot be numb.  We must demand that change happen,” Berghoff said in a loud speaker to the crowd meeting outside of the school.  Berghoff also stated that they plan to protest at the school board meeting tonight.

Maurer demanded background checks on 100 percent of all gun sales, limiting the sales of assault weapons and high capacity magazines, and improving the national background check system.

“Nowhere in this checklist does it say to ban all guns,” Maurer said.

The walkout ended with a moment of silence after the names of the victims of the Parkland shooting and encouraging students to write and call their legislators and attend the school board meeting.

Zoë Rosenberg, NFTY MV Head Songleader joins us live from Saint Louis, Missouri at the walkout from her high school. #JewsDemandActionJoin our movement: nfty.org/gvp

Posted by NFTY on Wednesday, March 14, 2018