Corral

Homework Takes a Toll on Sleep

Freshman+Amanda+Becker++starts+her+nightly+English+homework+on+Oct.+30+in+Andrea+Anderson%E2%80%99s+classroom.+Google+Classroom+is+a+way+for+students+and+teachers+to+communicate+outside+of+school%2C+but+doesn%E2%80%99t+affect+the+amount+of+homework+we+have.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Homework Takes a Toll on Sleep

Freshman Amanda Becker  starts her nightly English homework on Oct. 30 in Andrea Anderson’s classroom. Google Classroom is a way for students and teachers to communicate outside of school, but doesn’t affect the amount of homework we have.

Freshman Amanda Becker starts her nightly English homework on Oct. 30 in Andrea Anderson’s classroom. Google Classroom is a way for students and teachers to communicate outside of school, but doesn’t affect the amount of homework we have.

Abby Prywitch

Abby Prywitch

Abby Prywitch

Julia Solomon, Staff Writer

Students tend to get sleep deprived because of how late they have to stay up in order to do homework.

According to The Children’s Hospital,  the average teenager should get at least nine hours of sleep but typically get 7 hours due to other activities students are involved in and homework,  it is a challenge for anyone to get 7 hours of sleep.

Student’s lives revolve around homework.

Freshmen Spencer Kessler is involved in football, band, religious school and guitar lessons. He goes from one place to the next with only a hour  left to do school work. On his busiest day, he doesn’t get home until 10 p.m. “I’m always sleep deprived,” Kessler said.

Kessler goes to bed at 11:30 each night but has to wake up in 5 hours to either go to Student Council or band practice.

“I would say homework could be used more effectively, or at least not take up as much time,” Kessler said.

He makes sure to leave a part of his day for homework, but would rather prefer to have down time.  

Unlike Kessler, senior Mackenzie Canoy has time to relax.

Canoy is committed to varsity dance team, and Spark, A programs where students go to pursue their interest during school hours. Canoy goes for her interest of teaching. On days when she doesn’t have dance, she gets home on around 2:45 p.m.

“On those days I have plenty of time to relax before even thinking about homework,” Canoy said.

On the days she has dance she doesn’t get home till 5:30 p.m.

“I normally have an hour and a half of homework, not including anything with Spark, so it is sometimes challenging to have enough time to relax and still have a reasonable number of hours for sleep,” Canoy said.

On a normal night she gets 6 hours of sleep, which is still not how much sleep a teenager should get.

Sophomore Luke Shaefer gets home around 5:30pm. Shaefer is involved in soccer. He has at least two hours of homework each night.

“It is sometimes hard to make time to relax cause my homework has so much time in my day,” Shaefer said. He normally gets seven hours of sleep.

Compared to the Children’s hospital ,Shaefer may not get enough sleep, but  junior Madison Finegan said “I need eight hours of sleep in order to function.”

Finegan makes sure she gets enough sleep almost every night. Finegan is involved in gymnastics.

“On a good day I have up to an hour of homework, but most nights I have up to two hours,” Finegan said.

She has time to do homework before her activities but would rather relax. On nights when she has gymnastics she doesn’t get home till 9:30 p.m. and still tries to get at least eight hours of sleep.