Basketball has a Stellar seasdon

Boys and Girls bring home Conference championship and Conference Player of the Year

Alex Maisenhelder, Staff Writer

Boys make strong playoff run

The boys basketball team finished their season with a record of 24 wins and 6 losses. They went out with a tough loss to Jennings in the state quarterfinals, but they made an impressive playoff run, defeating MICDS, John Burroughs, and Pacific en route to the quarterfinals. The boys started off their season with a strong five game win streak, losing to Liberty in their sixth game. Liberty would prove to be a worthy opponent throughout the season.
“We fought sickness this year more than anything, the flu kept players out, and Art missed multiple games in a row with the flu,” assistant coach Aaron Mueller said. While they were able to avoid injury most of the season there were a few minor injuries, but they were able to play through them.
“Our last three victories were good victories. We beat MICDS on their home floor, we defended really well against John Burroughs, and we went on a 37-6 run during the Pacific game to pull ahead,” Mueller said. Some of the players were very happy with the performance in districts.
“My favorite game was the district game because everything just felt right and the better team came on top,” senior Devin Rice said. One thing that has helped this team play so well is their connections with one another.
“The team’s chemistry is like no other. Some of us grew up together and played other sports with one another and we know each other’s strengths and weaknesses,” senior Gerald Lenoir said. After cruising to a win against Pacific on the back of Deandre’s 33 points, 17 of them from the line. They then ran into a Jennings squad who was 26-3 at the time. The Colts narrowly lost 77-74 in overtime. This loss was tough to take for Mueller.
“Losing to Jennings was especially difficult because of the impact the seniors have had. The senior class has been outstanding, great leadership, and great team chemistry,” Mueller said.
All in all the Colts ended another twenty-plus win season with another deep playoff run.

Girls capture Conference Championship

The girls finished their season with a record of 22-5, winning their conference in the process. In the end the girls lost to MICDS in the second round of districts, after defeating Villa Duchesne in the first round. This season was especially tough for Jordyn Perry as she was the only senior on the team. “I’m like two years older than everyone, but because I’m so much older the end of the season was kind of hard because I’ll be leaving,” Perry said.
However, she also was optimistic about next year. “If anything, I think most of the younger players are just as, if not more, capable than me in the game… most of them have played at very high levels so their age isn’t an accurate measure of their abilities and basketball IQ,” Perry said.
Going into the season varsity had their full starting lineup returning, including four sophomores. “We started off the season with a tough loss to Parkway North, but losing that game let us know we had to work even harder. We then went on a school record 15 game win streak,” Guilfoyle said.
Guilfoyle was not alone in his views on the team.
“The team improved a lot and we all got better in our own way,” junior Meghan Stephens said. The team also had to learn to overcome injuries when sophomore Claudia Cooke got hurt and was out for the season. But team dynamics didn’t suffer.
“Everyone had chemistry on the court and playing with them was fun,” sophomore Jayla Kelly said. The team ended the season ranked 9th in the state in one of the toughest districts with top ranked Parkway North and sixth ranked MICDS.

Kirby’s retirement

Coach Rick Kirby retired as head coach of the Parkway Central basketball program. Kirby has had lasting effects on his players. Senior Devin Rice of the varsity basketball team had some thoughts on Kirby’s retirement.
“Kirby was always hard on everybody, but I finally realized that he just wanted us to be better because he knew what we were capable of. Kirby is one of those people who you would never forget because he had so much impact on your life.” Kirby has even had a lasting effect on the assistant coach Aaron Mueller.
“It is hard to take, he cared about the game so much. He represented our school as good as anybody could,” Mueller said.