• March 11Girls basketball headed to Final Four: Plays Jeff City in Springfield on Friday

Corral

Freshmen adjust to freedom and responsibility

Back to Article
Back to Article

Freshmen Taylor Murray, Daniel Baris, Xavier Leguet work in Kemba Metropoulos’ English 1 Class.

Jay Bowen

Jay Bowen

Jay Bowen

Jay Bowen, Staff Writter

Freshman John Ellis knew that high school would be a big change from middle school.

“It’s been a pretty big adjustment, a lot more work and responsibility,” Ellis said.

74 juniors and seniors serve as link crew leaders, and meet with freshmen five times during the first semester for questions and conversations.
“Yeah they’re actually pretty nice like they [upperclassmen] helped show me around on the first week of school,” Ellis said.

The freshmen are adjusting, because the upperclassmen can contribute when it comes to being positive and helpful.

“Sometimes, like telling directions. I wouldn’t say nice all the time but they’re cool sometimes,” freshman Saniyah Stephens said.

Administration agrees that upperclassmen helps.

“I think so for the most part,” assistant freshmen principal Shenita Mayes said. “I think our Link Crew are doing a great job and they helped on the first week with finding classes and just helpful in general.” Mayes thinks the freshmen are doing pretty good with hall time and staying on point with classes as a whole.

“I can get to my classes way faster because I have a lot more time,” freshman Shariff Robinson said.

Freshman Ava Wittner thinks the workload is manageable.

“My classes are good for now and not too hard,” Wittner said. “It’s a lot of homework but it’s not overwhelming” But for the most part the freshman enjoy high school.

“I like it more than middle school because we get to do more things and the teachers aren’t always yelling and telling you what to do,” Wittner said.
Some freshmen love the idea that high school grants more freedom and space to grow.

“I like it, it’s different and it’s more freedom than high school,” Stephens said.

There are a lot of things to look forward to in high school for the freshmen.
“I’m excited for homecoming and to have more freedom,” Wittner said.
Freshmen get to start high school sports which sets them up for future experiences and scholarships. Stephens is looking forward to sports in high school.

“[I’m excited about] just playing volleyball all my years and like different games getting involved in high school,” Stephens said.

Freshman athletes are excited to work on their skills in a competitive environment.

“I play football, I’m actually happy because I am on JV,” Ellis said. “I’m excited for the track season.”

For the most part freshmen like high school but some dislike a few things.
“I don’t like the food because we have the same thing everyday,” Stephens said.

Assistant principal Shenita Mayes is really happy, and has high hopes for the freshmen class.

“I’m excited to get to know them and all of their different personalities, and to start preparing them for their futures and seeing how they make out school community more positive,” Mayes said. “They are doing better than what I thought — I’m just happy that they’re here, let’s make it a great four years.”