Join PCH Publications!!

Claudia Sanders, Online News Editor

Parkway Central offers a variety of publication classes including but not limited to Newspaper, which writes, edits, and designs The Corral. The newspaper is a student-led publication advised by Christine Stricker. Being on the Corral gives you so many options whether you enjoy reviewing restaurants or movies, sharing your opinions, or using your creativity to add something new to the mix.

We’re always looking for new ways to spice up the newspaper by adding different talents from the unique group of individuals Central High has to offer. If you have skill in drawing or digital design, you can help create the covers and graphics in the paper.

For people interested in technology, we have an online newspaper where you can create whatever comes in mind as we try and improve the website and increase the number of people that visit the online Corral.

If you’ve ever thought about being a part of the Corral, there’s a prerequisite that you must take called beginning journalism which is a one semester-long course that will prepare you with all the information needed to be successful in journalism. From there you can join PCH TV, Yearbook, or Newspaper.

The great thing about the Corral is that there’s a lot of freedom to be creative whether you choose to write a story about the best water fountain in school or even a more serious topic like global warming. Since the publication is student-led, Stricker allows for our creative minds to take control while still helping us get the tools we need to succeed.

In addition, next year the publication staff is traveling to Washington D.C. for the National Journalism Convention where not only will you get an amazing journalist experience, but also get to see the beauty of the city. Stricker plans on taking journalism students to see different sights and monuments, listen to many guest speakers, and most importantly eating out.

Each semester, we have three papers to release and on top of those deadlines, there are two online stories due per semester, and we get to take pictures of a PCH event of your choosing each month for points. There’s a lot of time during the process of creating the next issue where you have time to complete all assignments giving the class a very laid-back, non-stress-inducing climate.

In the publications classroom, there are two different classrooms. One classroom is filled with Macs and Pc’s where we spend most of our time working and the other looks like a traditional classroom where you can complete interviews or just have a quiet space to work.

For some people thinking about making a career out of social media, film, or broadcast, publications offer a great class. Broadcasting/PCH TV teaches camera and video editing skills that can help those wanting to create content on youtube, or work in the field of media or journalism.

If you don’t enjoy writing as much as you do graphic design, photography, talking to new people, or if you have a lot of school spirit, yearbook could be the best option for you! Students spend time on specific activities taking pictures, interviewing people and designing the page’s layout. These students are in charge of capturing the memories that can last a lifetime!

If you’re ever on the fence about joining, feel free to talk to any of the Corral staff located on the inside of the cover or just come talk to Stricker because we all would be happy to have you! Join the Newspaper for a chance to become a high school journalist and be a part of something amazing!