Corral

Kudos for Nudo: Food Review

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kudos for Nudo: Food Review

Nudo's O'Miso Spicy ramen, extra noodles, and pork spring rolls.

Lee Foust

Lee Foust

Lee Foust

Lee Foust, Staff Writer

Ramen is a staple dish across all walks of life. From the common stereotype of a college kid who lives off ramen to an authentic Japanese bowl, it exists in many forms. Nearby in Creve Coeur, there’s a local ramen restaurant called Nudo that’s gained massive popularity since opening July 27, 2017.

Nudo, located in the West Oak plaza, was created by a Vietnamese refugee who came to America years ago. His wife is the owner of Mai Lee, a popular Vietnamese restaurant, and the one who introduced him to ramen. Now he owns his own restaurant that serves pho, ramen, and a variety of side dishes.

When you walk in to Nudo, the first thing that stands out is the interesting, pop-culture decor. The walls are lined with different prints and posters of things like Voltron, photography, and abstract art. There’s even a small rack of comic books hanging in one corner. There’s a warm red and tan color palette to the whole dining area, including the restrooms. The walls are lined with different spices, sauces, and ingredients sitting on shelves.

The kitchen itself is open to the dining area and laid out like an assembly line. You give your name and order appetisers, your meal, and drinks from a small window. You’re immediately handed your drink, and the order is passed down the line. Within 2-5 minutes, your order will be brought out to you by a server calling your name.

The menu features spicy, non-spicy, vegan, and kosher options for the ramen, as well as four different kinds of pho. There’s a good spread of Asian-style appetisers, including kimchi, crab rangoon, spring rolls, and a few salads.

The Pork Spring Rolls are $2 apiece and come with a delicious peanut sauce on the side. They’re made with fresh rice wrappers, a thin slice of pork, rice noodles, lettuce, and celery. They’re pretty decent spring rolls that taste light and fresh. It’s a good opening or side dish as you eat your main course.

The ramen itself, coming in at $12 a bowl, is also delicious. The Original Ramen comes with a generous portion of noodles, three slices of juicy pork, bamboo shoots, shallots, and a slice of seaweed. The broth is salty and flavorful, and adds a nice flavor to all the ingredients as it soaks in.

The O’Miso Spicy ramen has a similar composition with ingredients, but a much spicier broth. It’s also flavored like miso, as the name would imply. It’s well seasoned and the spice doesn’t take away from the flavors of the miso broth or ingredients.

When you finish your meal, Nudo also offers homemade soft serve with two unique flavors each day. The soft serve, which is $4, come in a small cup with a spoon. The flavors are rotated out fairly frequently but are always delicious. So far I’ve had mango, passionfruit, and coconut, and all have been delicious. It has a sorbet-like texture and is a great treat no matter what the weather is like.

Overall, the laid-back atmosphere, good service, and great food all make Nudo a great date night or family experience. The only downside is the tab can rack up quickly, since all items are ala carte and the price tags aren’t exactly cheap. Still, if you can spare the cash or have someone to pay for you I definitely recommend Nudo to anyone who wants to try homey, authentic ramen or any of their other dishes.

Rating: 8/10

Lee Foust
Nudo’s classic ramen.

Lee Foust
Homemade mango soft serve.