Top girls basketball prospect commits to Mizzou

Cam Harris and Jack Wittner

Jayla+Kelley+works+for+position+during+the+Final+Four+game+at+the+Missouri+State+Championship+tournament+in+2019.+

Megan Fisher

Jayla Kelley works for position during the Final Four game at the Missouri State Championship tournament in 2019.

Reggie Elijah, Staff Reporter

In the fall, senior basketball superstar Jayla Kelly signed with the University of Missouri, but Mizzou was not the only school looking at her.

“It was the really little things that made Mizzou the pick over Northwestern,” Kelly said in an interview with PCHTV’s Jack Wittner and Cam Harris.

“Jayla has really improved over the last four years,” girls varsity basketball coach Brian Guilfoyle said.  “She works very hard on court and in the weight room to be the best she can be.”

Last season, Kelly was a star player for the team. She had 359 points last year, an average of 12.4 points a game. Kelly also had 341 rebounds last season, an average of 11.8 per game.

“Jayla is faster and stronger which makes her a very good player in all areas of the game,” Guilfoyle said. “College coaches recognize her potential and she received several offers from some of the best programs in the country.’’

Kelly isn’t purely talented. She also puts in a lot of hard work, according to Guilfoyle. “Jayla plays basketball for a high level AAU team [Phenom] as well which helps her prepare for the high school season,” Guilfoyle said.

With her future set, Kelly now has her sights set on this season.

“I’m looking forward to having a good year with my teammates,” Kelly said.