Decade Recap: Important People

Olympic+champion+Simone+Biles.+

Mark Reis/Colorado Springs Gazette/TNS

Olympic champion Simone Biles.

Abby Prywitch, Managing Editor

As 2019 comes to an end, there were many significant people in this decade. This list does not cover all of the influential people of this decade, but rather serves as a short list highlighting some.

Elon Musk is a rocket scientist. He has had many significant accomplishments such as designing the Tesla which is one of the first electric cars during this era.

LeBron James joined the NBA right out of high school and currently plays for the Los Angeles Lakers, after winning titles with Cleveland and Miami. He has won three NBA titles, four MVPs and two Olympic gold medals.

Kylie Jenner, entrepreneur, made famous by the pop-culture phenomenon family the Kardashians, became the world’s youngest self-made billionaire at age 21. She recently sold her cosmetics , Kylie Cosmetics, for $800 million.

The Rock Otherwise known as Dwayne Johnson, he started as a wrestler, but has now become a popular  actor and spokesman.

Barack Obama, the 44th president, is the first American-American president. He created many lasting impacts from when he was in office such as Obama Care.

Mark Zuckerberg is a philanthropist who studied at Harvard for two years.  He is very well known for being the co-founder of Facebook. Recently towards the end of this decade he has been on the hot seat with congress for social media legislation and regulations.

Before Donald Trump won his presidency, he was a businessman and stared in a reality TV show, “The Apprentice.” He is currently under investigation for impeachment .

Colin Kaepernick, a free-agent NFL quarterback who played the past six seasons with the 49ers. He started kneeling during the National Anthem during his football games to protest racial justice, which caused great controversy. Nike recently signed Kaepernick to be a spokesman.

Lady GaGa is a pop singer who has won nine Grammy Awards. Many say that Lady GaGa’s music captures this decade.

Malala Yousafzai is a Pakastani activist and speaks out on behalf of women’s rights. She is the youngest Nobel Prize laureate. To this day she still fights to make sure girls receive a quality and safe education for twelve years. Malala along with Ziauddin Yousafzai founded the Malala Fund in 2013 to help with their fight against girls rights to education.

Quarterback Tom Brady has played in nine Super Bowls for the New England Patriots, and he has won six of those, which is the most of any player in NFL history.

Ariana Grande was nominated for five Grammys this year. She has had some of the top selling albums of the decade.

Ruth Bader Ginsberg was the second female to be confirmed to the Supreme Court. Ginsberg has became known as a pop culture icon and is known as the notorious RBG in pop culture. She is a major women’s right advocate. Ginsberg wears a variety of collars to express her different opinions, her collars are now a symbol of female empowerment.

As of the 2019 World Championship, Simone Biles holds the record of having the most world medals for a gymnast. She also has the 25 world championship medals at nineteen.

Oprah Winfrey’s talk show was different than others because she shows different sides of American life.  She is well known for her talk show: Oprah, TV network, book club, and her giveaways. In her talk show she encourages people to build the life they want and shows the American Dream is possible. She created the term “live your best life.” Winfrey’s net worth is $2.7 billion.

Kim Kardashian is best known for the show Keeping Up with the Kardashians. Kanye West is married to Kim Kardashian. Kanye West placed fourth place in this year’s ranking of the most wealthiest hip-hop artists. Kanye’s net worth is $240 million as of 2019.