Harris Reaches 1000 Point Milestone

Senior+Devion+Harris+taking+the+basketball+towards+the+hoop++on+Dec.+6+at+the+game+against+Parkway+South.+

Wagner Portraits

Senior Devion Harris taking the basketball towards the hoop on Dec. 6 at the game against Parkway South.

Abby Prywitch, Managing Editor

6-foot-7-inch varsity basketball starter, Devion Harris, is making his mark on the boys basketball program. Harris is leading the team in points and rebounds this season. His head coach, Aaron Mueller, has watched Harris grow over the past four years he’s been on varsity.

“For a person as big as he is he has got a great deal of skill and touch and the ability to score in a lot of different ways,” head varsity boys basketball coach Aaron Mueller said. “He is also an excellent defensive player and he is second all time in school history in blocks so he can do a lot of things really well.”

Harris reached 1,000 points in his high school career on Jan. 14 in the game against Rockwood Summit. Harris is the 10th player of all time to reach 1,000 points and is currently 8th place in career scoring.

“It felt really good, I felt like I really accomplished something big in my high school life,” Harris said.

Since it was an away game, they were unable to stop the game and celebrate during the moment, but that did not stop the team from celebrating this special accomplishment.

“After the game the team took a picture with him and we celebrated it in the locker room and it was really cool that it happened in a nice victory for us as well,” Mueller said.

Harris did have a feeling that he was going to reach 1,000 points during that game.

“Muells told me a week before that I only needed 13 points and I just went out and I played,” Harris said.

Harris feels like he has grown as a player over these past four years and has become more of a leader.

“I have been working with my father on how to lead the team, how to get my skills and endurance up so I can help my team win games,” Harris said.

The work Devion has been putting in this season is being recognized by his coaches and is being seen on the court.

“He has really grown this year into a leader and he has done so by being more vocal and trying to lead by example. I think he has really grown up and matured a lot this year and that is a big part of it,” Mueller said.

“My senior season is where it all comes together. It’s my final test before me going into college,” Harris said.