Challenges and Rewards

For football, growth and improvement is the goal every day

The+football+team+huddles+together+at+their+game+against+Rockwood+Summit+High+School+on+Sept.+10.+Photo+by+Kayelyn+Tate.++

The football team huddles together at their game against Rockwood Summit High School on Sept. 10. Photo by Kayelyn Tate.

Ava Wittner, Reporter

Football season has officially kicked off, and this year the team has a new head coach, Ryan King. King was previously an assistant football coach and coaches the basketball team. He filled the position after previous head coach Mark Goldenberg retired. With what many would say was not a true season last year due to COVID, students are excited to spend their Friday nights under the lights again. The stadium is back to full capacity and mask-free, giving the players and fans one more thing that they lacked last year.

Despite the excitement surrounding the first game of the year, the Colts faced the Marquette Mustangs, a team we have beaten before but not in the past two seasons.

“We knew they were going to be a tough opponent as they have been a very strong program the past 5+ years,” special teams coach Scott Davis said.

The loss was upsetting for players and students, but for some, it was a realization that the team could use help.

“After going to the game against Marquette and us losing 48-0, I felt like I needed to do something about it and decided to join the team. I think I can help,” Joe Siervo (12) said.

Siervo has not played football since middle school and he knows there is a big difference between middle school and high school football games.

“The game is a lot faster since middle school and kids are a lot bigger so it’s going to be a lot harder than it was when I was younger,” said Siervo.

Although getting back into the groove of the game might be difficult, Siervo can rely on the comfort of his relationships with his teammates and coaches to help get him through.

“I have good relationships with all of the coaches because of the other sports I’ve played. In baseball I had Coach Davis and in basketball I had Coach King. I’ve also had a lot of classes with Coach Wright,” Siervo said.

In the eyes of Coach King, difficulties can be identified and used to grow as a team.

“Coaching a young team has its challenges and rewards. We get the opportunity to mold these players into our system and in the way we expect them to play. While our young players will have growing pains getting used to the speed and physicality of varsity football, we get to see huge progress in our young players throughout the season,” King said.

With a win against Riverview Gardens under their belt, there are some exciting things happening this season. Last year with COVID-19 and the constant battle of virtual vs. in person school, teams weren’t able to have a normal year. This year it is much different.

“This year we’re able to go through our typical routines that we would go through in past years. We’re able to eat together as a team before away games, we’re able to lift as a large group in the weight room. We’re all able to go in the locker room at the same time,” John Ellis (12) said.

It is not the end of the season yet and there is a lot more in store.

“I predict that the program is going to get stronger and stronger not just in the years to come, but this season as well as we gain experience,” said Davis.