Guilfoyle New Golf Coach

Brian Guilfoyle takes on boys golf after stepping down from girls basketball.

Brian Guilfoyle cuts photo boards in his Photo 2 class on Feb. 16. Guilfoyle teaches Photo 1, 2 and 3, Digital Design 1 and 2, Drawing and AP 2D Art. Photo by Kayelyn Tate

Kayelyn Tate, Staff Reporter

Coach Brian Guilfoyle, has coached basketball for 22 years, and was the girls head coach for 11 of those years. With many victories under his belt, he put down the basketball and picked up the golf club to coach boys’ golf this 2022 spring season.

“The amount of time away from family was a concern, so I decided to spend more time with them in the winter and summer,” said Guilfoyle. “Stepping down from girls’ basketball was probably one of the hardest decisions I have made in my life. I loved working with the girls as well as the coaches. We built a very successful program, but it was time for a change.”

Guilfoyle played golf in high school and continues to play recreationally, after Coach Pannet stepped down, he was eager to apply for the position.

“I truly believe that coaching is an extension of the classroom,” Guilfoyle said. “Building caring relationships in the program while honoring everyone’s individual voice is important.”

Returning varsity player Jack Deutsch (12) is excited to see how Coach Guilfoyle will contribute to the team’s success.

“I had Mr. Guilfoyle as a photography teacher first semester this year,” said Deutsch. ”He is very passionate about teaching and I think it will carry on well in golf.”

Deutsch enjoyed his time on the team last season and is looking forward to how Guilfoyle’s coaching style will help improve his game.

“My goals for this season are to make it to the district tournament,” said Deutsch. “I think Mr. Guilfoyle will bring a lot of positive energy to the team and his passion to help us become better golfers. He is very professional and will make it a priority to help us come together as a team.”

With 22 boys currently signed up, Guilfoyle is already thinking about what the season will hold.

“I think the primary goal every year is to have every athlete get better and enjoy the season while making friends,” said Guilfoyle. “I am a competitive person, and as the varsity coach, I always have the goal of winning conference, being competitive in districts and getting as many golfers as possible to state.”