Goals and Goals

Girls’ varsity soccer season kicks off with aspiration and motivation

Wagner Portraits

Entire girls’ varsity soccer team, including coaches, take team pictures.

Sasha Smith, Staff Reporter

As we head in the direction of spring, new seasons for spring sports begin. The girl’s varsity soccer team has high hopes as their new season kicks off. Playing center forward, varsity captain Lily Huss (12) acknowledges her role as captain and puts goals in place to succeed at being a good one.

“I think that since I am captain, I have the leadership role of a senior and as a captain. I think that my leadership roles come in a lot of ways, but I do need to be able to talk to people and make them feel welcomed as well as lead them to be better people and better players,” Huss said.

Along with having goals for being captain, Huss has goals set for herself as an individual.

“I hope to improve on my ability to help others in situations where I am not having the best day myself,” Huss said.

Not only do the team members have goals they aim for, but so does varsity coach BA (Brian Adam), a social studies teacher.

“We’re just trying to create the best teamwork and cohesiveness that we can and encourage the players to be the best that they can be individually within a team environment,” said BA.

BA identifies the challenges the team will have to tackle throughout the season.

“Consistency and being able to continually grow each game will be something for us to work on. There’ll be other games that are extremely challenging, so to be able to be mentally prepared for each one of those, for each different opponent that we’re coming up against, will be our biggest challenges,” BA said.

BA indicates that he’s eager to work with the different players and watch all of them grow.  Anna Woodall (9) reveals her enthusiasm to be a freshman joining the team.

“It’s a new experience for me and I’m glad to be a part of the team,” Woodall said.

Woodall has goals alike the rest of her teammates to come together as a team and thrive.

“Some of my goals are to succeed as a player and as a team. I hope for us to have a good season and improve after each game,” said Woodall.

The community the team has created and the drive they have to reach their goals will surely work to their advantage. The team’s high spirits will lead them into what will hopefully be a very successful season.