Drink At Your Own Risk

The negative effects caused by the popular energy drink, Celsius

Sasha Smith

One of Celsius’s carbonated drinks, Tropical Vibe.

Sasha Smith, Staff Reporter

The grasp that energy drinks have on teens has increased tremendously over the years. Yet as more people begin to question the health benefits of drinks such as Redbull, Monsters, and Bangs, the drinks become more controversial. One drink in particular has recently shown increased popularity amongst teens. Celsius, a caffeine-packed energy drink, is mainly marketed to those trying to increase their metabolism. Despite that, this drink can be seen in the hands of many teens across the country who just simply enjoy the taste or are trying to get a source of caffeine in their system.

Jamie Sevasko (9) started drinking Celsius mainly because of their non-carbonated options.

“I’m not into carbonated drinks and it’s really hard for me to find stuff at the store. So when I found a Celsius and started drinking it, I really liked it,” Sevasko said.

Not only does Celsius offer non-carbonated options, but it can also be found in 12 different flavors. 

Sevasko admits after trying one for the first time, she’s included drinking them in her daily routine.

“I drink around one or two a day typically,” Sevasko said. 

So what’s the big deal in terms of health benefits making this drink so controversial? 

One 12-ounce can of Celsius contains 200 mg of caffeine, which is half of the maximum daily amount recommended by the FDA. Studies have shown drinking too much caffeine can increase the risk of sleep impairment, nervousness, and osteoporosis (a medical condition in which the bones become brittle and fragile from loss of tissue), as time goes on.

Neha Patlu (9) drinks Celsius regularly, even after experiencing side effects from them. 

“Not long ago when I drank a Celsius, I was walking during Ac Lab, and just like out of nowhere my stomach started like cramping really hard.  I had to hold onto the side of the wall but it didn’t really last for long,” Patlu said.

Patlu isn’t the only one facing the after-effects of drinking Celsius. After drinking one or two a day for about a little longer than two months, I found it harder to concentrate and felt more anxious than ever. The biggest mistake I made was drinking two before 8 a.m. on an empty stomach which resulted in a fainting spell. 

Most people find it difficult to consume more than one a day, considering over 200 mg can result in major side effects. 

“I can’t really handle more than one [Celsius], I used to drink one every single day, but I stopped because I didn’t like how it made me feel,” Patlu said.

Not only can Celsius be found at almost any grocery store or gas station but Central’s very own Colt Cafe sells them for $3. Lindsay Ludwinski (12) works at the Colt Cafe and notes they sell about seven per Ac Lab.

“I think it’s a good idea [to sell Celsius] to gain profit. However, I also think that it’s not the best idea when it comes to the students’ health,” Ludwinski said.

Similar to Ludwinski, Sevasko has slight concerns with selling Celsius at school.

“I feel like it’s fine, but I think some people would kind of take advantage of it and buy too many,” Sevasko said.

Many also mention Celsius has the opposite effect of what it’s supposed to do. Even with a large amount of caffeine in the drink, it leaves people feeling more tired and less alert.

“I just like the taste of them, and for some people, they might be good if you’re really tired, but then for me personally, it just makes me more tired after, so I don’t really know what to say about the drink,” Patlu said.

Unlike coffee drinkers, some Celsius drinkers have found themselves feeling less focused and having a harder time concentrating. 

“I’m more of a coffee drinker, and normally coffee actually helps me focus, but Celsius did not,” Ludwinski said.

In comparison other energy drinks, Celsius is marketed as healthy and not just a regular energy drink. But a 16-ounce can of Celsius Heat is pumped with 300 mg of caffeine. That’s about twice as much the amount of caffeine you might find in a can of Monster.

Although having clinically proven benefits in metabolism, none of Celsius’ claims are FDA approved, which they state on the side of the can. As tasty as these drinks are, if not consumed responsibly, can lead to serious health problems.