SPLASHIN’ TO THE NET

Boys water polo wins 3rd place in state

Ian Conway saves goal just in time. Photo from Brandon Shih

Chase Giancola, Staff Reporter

With the school year coming to an end, spring sports are wrapping it up just in time for the sunny weather. This includes the boys water polo team. 

The season came to an end with a winning record of 14-9. Which exceeds the last 3 years of Parkway Central Water Polo. 

Ian Conway (10) was a member of the Varsity squad freshman and also his sophomore year. 

This year, he and the team won third place in state. This was a big accomplishment for Conway and the rest of the guys. 

The boys played Ladue, who was ranked 5th at the time in the state. 

Earlier in the season Ladue had beaten DeSmet, which at the time was ranked 3rd in state. 

Central had beaten Ladue 9-4, which was, “A really cool experience,” Ian Conway said. 

“My favorite game this season was playing against Marquette when I got 30 saves and I broke my save record. Which was very exciting because the average save count for a highschool goalie is probably around 10,” Conway said. 

The team developed a very close bond over the 2022 season. “Obviously when your playing a sport with a team you’re with them everyday after school for two hours, which builds tight friendships, its a lot of fun,” Conway said. 

With some of the seniors grauradting, this opens up some new spots for the 22-23 season. 

“I would defisnlty recommended coming out next year for some good times and maybe even a state championship,” Conway said.

Watch out next year for the Parkway Central boys Water Polo team and also consider maybe coming out to the tryouts.