Louis Tomlinson

Louis Tomlinson’s new album, Faith in the Future. Photo by Spotify

Anika Singh, Staff Reporter

Louis William Tomlinson was born on December 24, 1991 in Doncaster, South Yorkshire, England. His parents Johannah Deakin and Troy Austin divorced when he was a child so he took his step-father Mark Tomlinson’s last name. He also has 5 stepsisters: Georgia, Charlotte, Félicité, and twins Daisy and Phoebe. Later, his mother and stepfather divorced but in 2014, Johannah married Daniel Deakin and had 2 more children, Ernest and Doris. At the age of 11 years old, Louis Tomlinson played small parts in the television shows If I had you and Waterloo Road. In Doncaster, Tomlinson went to The Hayfield School and when he failed to complete his first year of A-levels, he switched over to Hall Cross academy. While acting in a student-led production of Grease he was suspended from school because he misbehaved and flashed his “behind” to the audience. Alongside school, he worked part-time jobs in retail and at the Doncaster Rovers Football Club, a team he still supports. 

He is a British Singer-Songwriter. As a child, he often acted and sang on television and in school productions. When he was 18 years old (2010), he auditioned for the well-known TV show “The X Factor.” In his audition, he sang “Hey there, Delilah” by The Plain White T’s and “Elvis Ain’t Dead” by Scouting for Girls where all three judges said yes to his audition and sent him through. He got through several rounds but was eliminated before the final round. The judges decided that they would put him in a band with four other contestants: Harold Edward Styles, Liam James Pain, Neil James Horan, and Bradford Bad Boy Malik. This band then went on to finish in third place and got a contract with famous entrepreneur and record executive Simon Cowell’s music label, Syco. 

In One Direction, Louis Tomlinson and his bandmates enjoyed global success. They released their first single “What Makes You Beautiful” on September 11, 2011 in Europe, Australia, and New Zealand and February 14, 2012 in the United States. This song turned out to be no. 1 on global hits. Their first album, Up All Night was released on November 18, 2011. It was a chart topper in 16 countries. Their second album, Take Me Home was released on November 9th 2012 and was also a great success. One Direction performed at the 2012 Summer Olympics closing ceremony in London and they’ve also toured the world together. One Direction then released three more albums, Midnight Memories (November 25, 2013), Four (November 17, 2014), and Made in the A.M (November 13, 2015.) In 2015, Louis’s best friend Zayn Malik announced that he was leaving the band. They continued to make the album Made in the A.M. and then went on an indefinite hiatus. Louis promised it was only going to last 18 months but it’s been 66 months too much. 

After One Direction went on their hiatus, Tomlinson went back on the X Factor as a judge. His first single “Just Hold On” was released in December of 2016 and it went to #2 on charts in the U.K. Seven months later, he released the song “Back to you” with Bebe Rexha and it hit Top 10. In March 2019, Louis released his song “Two of Us” as a tribute to his late mother. On January 31, 2020, Louis released his first album Walls through Syco. It reached #1 on Worldwide iTunes Album Chart and #1 on iTunes Album Chart in 50 countries. It debuted at #4 on the UK Official Charts, #2 for UK Official Album sales, #8 on Rolling Stones Top Albums Chart, and #9 on the Billboard 200 charts. Louis also recently released his new album Faith in the Future. This album is on its way to hitting #1 on the UK charts and if it succeeds, it will be Louis’ first #1.

Louis began his world tour on March 9, 2020 in Barcelona but due to the Covid Pandemic, it was postponed. It restarted on February 1, 2022 in Dallas selling over 160,000 tickets in over 110 countries and finally ended on September 3, 2022 in Milan. On November 11, 2022, Louis released his new album, Faith in the Future, which is 

Louis also put on a one-day festival called Away From Home in 2021 (London, 8500 fans due to pandemic) and 2022 (Spain, 17,000 fans). He plans to continue the Festival in different cities in the world. The Festival featured many different genres of music such as Alternative, Punk, Indie, Rock, 

In Spain, Louis was accompanied by The Vaccines, Hinds,  Sun Room, Stone, and DJ sets from Carl Barat (The Libertines’.) Louis performed a special set to close out the festival. Tomlinson recently went on the Zach Sang Show and stated that he was hoping to bring the Festival to the United States next year.