Boys Have Banner Post Season

Boys swim places first in state in 44 years, football moves on to state

MJ Bezzant

Jake Hansen swims the breaststroke at the state championships Nov. 11. .

Sophie Unger, Staff Reporter

Boys Cross Country

Brendan Alfonso placed runs in the Forest Park Festival. (Sarah Williams)

The boys and girls cross-country team both had made it to state. Sophomore Alexander Moresi placed the highest out of the rest of the runners. Moresi placed 42nd with a time of 17:13.40 for the Boy’s 5,000 meter run. Then, following up, sophomore Brendan Alfonso placed 66th with a time of 17:41.90. 

“I think we did great, even though some of us weren’t feeling well,” Alfonso said. “We raced hard, made moves and pushed each other through.” 

Junior Ajay Eisenberg and sophomore Beckett Friedman placed 80th and 81st with a 3-second time difference. Overall, the boys placed 13th at State and Sarah Williams placed 99th at state.

Football

DJ Burgess gains yards against the Clayton defense on Nov. 4. Burgess rushed for 156 yards during the gaame. (Christine Stricker.)

Varsity football beat Clayton 42-0, On Friday, November 4, 2022. They were in a Bye in round 1. At that point in the season, junior QB Sam Sailors completed 26 passes for 426 yards and 8 touchdowns. Senior Michael Cooper led the Colts as a  top tackler with 57. DJ Burgess scored 29 touchdowns and rushed 1489 yards, which is more touchdowns scored than the whole team combined. 

On Friday, Nov. 11, Parkway Central faced Vashon, who posted the same record as the Colts, 8-2. The unexpected cold and windy night started off with a quick Vashon lead 7-0 in the first quarter.  But Central came back in the second quarter with a touchdown by Sailors and a field goal by junior Connor Lander. 

“Time was running down in the second half and we needed a big play, so we called one play and we rushed into another play. So I concentrated on the ball in the air and caught it and ran out of bounds with :03 left on the clock, which led to Connor’s field goal,” receiver Aamir Banks said.

The final scoring for the night happened in the third quarter, when Cooper ran for a 55 yard touchdown. The Colts defense kept Vashon scoreless though the second half. Junior Caleb Mues and Cooper each posted a sack, and the pair had 17 tackles between them. 

“The team had to step up as a unit because the other team was focused on stopping me,” running back DJ Burgess said. 

The Colts head to St. Dominic to play the 6-5 Crusaders in the state quarterfinal game on Nov. 19 at 1 p.m.

Boys Swim and Dive

Senior Jake Hansen swims the breaststroke during Senior Night on Oct. 11. Photo by Alyssa Weisenberg. (Alyssa Weisenberg.)

For the first time in 44 years, the boys swim and dive team has won the state championship. State took place Saturday, November 12, 2022, at the St. Peters Rec-Plex in St. Peters, Mo. 

The team won five events to win the champion title. Central placed second in the 400 yard freestyle relay, first in the 200 yard medley relay. Senior Jake Hansen placed first in the 100 yard breaststroke, along with third place in the 200 yard individual medley. 

“I had a big emphasis on not cutting corners this year and being more process oriented rather that results-oriented. We worked together and it paid off and I’m very happy with the outcome and my own personal performance,” Hansen said.

Junior Daniel Richmann placed eighth in the 100 yard backstroke and junior William Jost won the 100 yard freestyle.

“We are very happy with the outcome, after not doing as well as we wanted to last year. It felt nice to come back to a win,” Jost said.