How Much Do Influencers Influence You?

Relatable or Uber Rich? Stars like Alix Earle takeover Tik Tok promoting brands.

Anna Aslin, Staff Reporter

Phone shopping is the latest trend in retail, spurred by the rise of TikTok and the influence of social media influencers. A report commissioned by the National Retail Federation (NRF) found that phone shopping has become increasingly popular among younger and older generations, with 48% of Gen Z shoppers making purchases through their phones. This is in stark contrast to just 25% of shoppers over the age of 65, who still prefer to shop in-store. The NRF suggests that the increase in phone shopping can be attributed to the growth of TikTok, which has over 800 million active users worldwide, and the rise of social media influencers, who often promote products on their pages.  

With an almost exclusively teenage audience, Alix Earle has quickly become the go-to marketer for brands looking to target teens. Earles has cultivated a large following by creating fun, informative, and inspiring content for her followers. Among the brands using Earles’ services are fashion retailers, food companies, and even beauty brands. Through her posts, Earles helps these brands reach teenagers, who are viewed as challenging targets.

Sophomore Sasha Smith was asked to guess how much she thinks Earle makes. “I’ve heard of Alix Earle making bank, from being pretty to having a boujee skincare and makeup routine.”

According to marketing manager Jessica Liliann, lifestyle influencer Alix Earle might earn anywhere from $40 thousand to $70 thousand per brand partnership on TikTok. Liliann affirmed that while Earle’s exact earnings remain unconfirmed, her impressive follower count could be attributed to her likely worth.

Despite the negative responses, numerous people believe that the influencer is being justly compensated due to her positive Return on Investment. This is exemplified through the Mielle Organics’ Rosemary Mint Scalp & Hair Strengthening Oil, which sold out after Earle promoted it in her TikTok video “Top 2022 Amazon Purchases.”

“I buy many things I see from TikTok. Like the iconic bbl jacket and the Sol de Janeiro Brazilian Bum Bum Cream, I don’t have a particular creator I look for recommendations from. Still, I get those ads on TikTok for certain brands advertising their clothing. ” Smith shared.

A new study conducted by the Pew Research Center has revealed that the influence of social media influencers dramatically impacts teens when it comes to shopping. According to the survey results, 60% of teens cited influencer marketing as a significant factor in their buying decisions.

The survey showed that younger teens between the ages of 13 and 17 were more likely to be influenced by influencer advertising than their older counterparts, with 74% of that age group stating they had been influenced by influencers when making purchases.

The study also revealed that the types of products purchased due to influencer marketing varied. Clothing and accessories were the most popular, with 40% of teens citing them as their main purchase item, followed by beauty products (25%) and tech gadgets (19%).

The survey results have prompted many to question the impact of influencer marketing on teen behavior. While some feel that such marketing strategies can be beneficial, others worry that it has a negative effect, with teens being exposed to new trends, products, and brands before they are ready.

“One of the negative things about mass social media influencers is that influencers are only posting the best parts of their lives.” Smith started, “It makes people feel bad for experiencing hard times in their life and doesn’t show that no matter what kind of life you live, not every moment will be great.”

Retail trends are constantly changing, and The influence of social media influencers on teens’ shopping decisions has been widely debated. While some argue that this trend negatively influences young people’s consumer behavior, others see it as a beneficial way for teens to discover new products and stay up to date with the latest trends.

While influencers undeniably affect teens’ shopping decisions, it is essential to remember that teens should be encouraged to make their own decisions and not be swayed by what they see online. It is important to educate teens on the influence of marketing and the power of influencers and to give them the tools to make informed decisions about their shopping habits.