Integrating Technology into Coaching

Sam Keller, Staff Writer

Technology is ever improving and there are many different programs becoming available for use in athletics. Many coaches at the high school incorporate technology into their sports, using it to track athletes, communicate, and many other things.

“With technology, coaching has made things easier and communication is fantastic, ” Brian Guilfoyle said.

Coaches can use technology to send out information to the athletes on the team so they know what is happening and when.

“I use Remind 101 to send out information, for me technology is about communication,” Guilfoyle said.

Hudl has also allowed athletes and coaches to review what they have done and how they can change it for the future.

“Being able to see how you are actually performing so you can go forward and change it for the future,” Coach Guilfoyle said.

Coach Ryan Banta, the head coach of girls cross country and track and field, uses a survey system called Iris to determine how the athlete is feeling currently. The athlete takes a survey about if they have any points of soreness, mood, and how much sleep they got and how restful it was. He uses all the information he gets to create a database on the athletes, so he can track their progress and use the information to specialize their training.

“I use Iris surveys to determine practice stuff, like how you tired and how you feel in the morning like how well did you sleep and mood and soreness. You can see the difference overtime and to see what you change.” Coach Banta said.

He also uses it to determine if there’s something in his training he might need to change. He can determine the source of an athlete’s pain, recovery time needed, and how the athlete feels after the training. The athlete may not be happy with the training and they can tell him this in the survey they take.

“I might think that I’m a great coach and i’m doing wonderfully but if athlete’s surveys say differently there is something I need to change.” Coach Banta said.

Head boys soccer coach Brian Adam uses a video program called Hudl. The school subscribes to the Hudl program. Hudl allows coaches and teams to rewatch previous games to learn from previous mistakes and how they can correct then in the future.

“The biggest influence is video, there is a program the school subscribes to has improved over the last 10 years.” Coach Brian Adam said.

Hudl also allows athletes to create highlight reels of yourself that would be very difficult normally. Hudl allows you to see clips of certain athletes when they have the ball, score, or do anything else. This makes it very easy to create highlight reels of athletes. It also allows coaches to create and share videos of their team to help others learn strategy or to learn the strategy of another team.

Adam has athletes who use Hudl. “It allows them to make highlight videos to send college recruiters. I also share videos with other coaches. I can get videos of other teams to learn the other teams strategies.” Coach Brian Adam said.

Technology in coaching is evolving as technology ever improves and changes. New developments are being made everyday and coaching will begin to adapt and incorporate this new technology into the current technology they are using.