What’s For Lunch ?

Three PCH students had their entree options selected to be served to the school based on cost, calories, and predicted popularity. Here is how these new healthier lunches compare to classic options in terms of calories: Chick-Fil-A meal – 637 calories VS. JP’s Asian cucumber chicken pasta salad at 312 calories per 6 ounces, going to be served Feb. 26

MacKenzie Rush, Staff Writter

School lunch is probably the most favorite time of day. School lunch has changed drastically in the past six years. I remember in elementary school, I would get something different every single day. Hot wings one day and mozerella sticks and marinara sauce the next. Either way we’d get two sides and a juice or milk of our choice, my select choice was always fruit punch juice.

By the time I was in middle school lunch began to change to healthier alternatives. Michelle Obama started a campaign in 2010 called “Let’s Move!” The organization is to take on obesity in America. 37.7 percent of men and women in the U.S. are overweight, imagine how many children. According to letsmove.obamawhitehouse.archives.gov more than 30 million children in the National School Lunch Program. That being said good nutrition is important in our schools. The organization Let’s Move! is committed to providing healthier foods in our nation’s schools, and encourages all schools to provide school breakfast.

Here at Parkway Central, the regional food service manager is Barbara Karr. Karr enjoyed her “unhealthy” l lunch as a kid.

“I lived off that stuff,” Karr said. But now, as the manager, Karr has to balance what the kids want and the health requirements. We have pizza apparently “almost” everyday, a second entree, burgers, chicken sandwiches, a hot bar, and a Colt line usually offering different things. Lunch is $3.10 so you’d get, for example, pizza, fruit, fries, and milk or juice.

“If they take everything they can get, I think it’s a good deal,” Karr said.  I am not completely sure of all the things extra i can get without an upcharge. Like many kids, pizza was Karr’s favorite thing growing up, and it might explain why we have pizza so much.   But I know that many students’ favorites consist of other food places besides the places that serve pizza. Chick-fil-a is pretty good but after a couple weeks it’s just anticlimactic.

Doing more research, high school students can only have a certain amount of sodium. Before the new restrictions, the average amount that we were  apparently being served as high school students is 1,588. e shouldn’t be consuming more than 1,080 at lunch.