DECA Competes in Annual Business Competition

DECA+students+on+club+picture+day.+

Wagner Portraits

DECA students on club picture day.

Abby Prywitch and Sydney Stahlschmidt

In the beginning of February, students in Parkway Central’s DECA, a business club, joined other high school students in a competition at the South County Mall. DECA is focused on marketing, finance, hospitality, business, and other business topics. 

The DECA competition is where the students compete with a partner to take over a business topic where they put on a scenario to a “customer” or “boss.” The students were on how well they perform these scenarios to the boss or customer, just like someone would in the real word of business. 

Juniors Margaux Eubank and Emily Lander went to this competition and competed in the area of hospitality. They got judged on how well they performed their role play of this hospitality.

“You talk in front of judges about an idea that they gave you and you had to come up with a solution and they grade you on that,” Lander said. 

Eubank and Lander received a score of 98% on their role play. However, they are still waiting to hear the results of the competition and their placement.

DECA is a club to prepare students for a possible future in the business industry. Both of the girls really enjoyed the experience for it being their first year in the club. They are considering taking a business path in college even though they are still unsure of what they want to major in exactly. 

“I’m not really sure what I want to do yet in the future, but I find marketing in particular very interesting and fun and is definitely one of my options,” Eubank said.