Good fit for a King

Ryan King is named new head football coach for Parkway Central

Kayelyn Tate and Christine Stricker

Ryan King coaches from the sidelines at the football game against Parkway South on Oct. 3.

Abby Prywitch, Editor-in-Chief

After ten years of being a member of the Parkway Central football program coaching staff, Ryan King is named new head coach after Mark Goldenberg steps down from the position. Ever since King started his teaching career at Central, he hoped to someday be able to apply for the head coach position. 

“I wanted to take it to the next level by being the head coach because it allows me to put my own mark on Parkway Central football,” King said.

Football has been a part of King’s life for a long time as he started playing at 7 years old. He finished his career at Truman State University where he played Division II football. 

Junior football player John Ellis was not surprised with the announcement

“I saw it coming with King being selected as the next head coach. I also felt excited because I think King is a good coach and I already have a good relationship built with him,” Ellis said.

Being a head coach of a sport adds many new responsibilities. King will now have to manage the everyday tasks of being a head coach both during the season and offseason. He believes some responsibilities he will be adding include planning practices, checking in on players, communicating with families, and during the off season, taking a larger role in player recruitment, off season workouts and team development.

“I’m not sure he needs any advice from me; he clearly knows way more about this game than I ever will,” Theobald said. “The biggest thing for any new head coach is to trust yourself and your process…He knows about the traditions of PCH football and will now be able to put his own touch onto those and continue to grow the program.”

Theobald is excited for King and this new opportunity for him to take over the position of head coach. 

“Coach King is extremely knowledgeable about the game and is a true X’s and O’s football nerd (and I mean that in the highest regard),” Theobald said.

Theobald believes that not only does King have an intelligent football mind, but he is also an amazing role model for the kids inside and outside of the classroom. King has shown the ability to make strong and positive connections with his players and students.

“This will only be enhanced with his role as the head football coach at PCH,” Theobald said.

King believes his strengths in terms of coaching is building relationships with the players as well as, helping them improve on their technique and teaching them the nuances of the game.

“I think he will do well. Obviously being a first-year head coach isn’t easy, but I think he will do well and other coaches and players will definitely be there to offer him support. He definitely already has plenty of coaching experience so that will help as well,” Ellis said.

As head coach, he is most looking forward to getting to work with the football players where he can have a bigger impact on them not only as players but as individuals.

“We will miss Goldie and appreciate beyond words all he has done, not just for our football program, but the PCH community as a whole,” athletic director John Theobald said. 

Goldenberg has been the head football coach for the past 18 seasons which included many successes, but King is looking forward to the future of the program. 

“[My goal for the program is] to get back to the historical success Parkway Central Football has enjoyed over its history,” King said.