Corral

Freshmen Delve Into Mandarin Online Class

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sami Qian (9) logs onto her account for the class, where she can view assignments and lessons from wherever she has a computer.

Wesley Henshaw

Wesley Henshaw

Wesley Henshaw

Wesley Henshaw, Staff Writer

The new Mandarin class this year is allowing students such as freshmen Sami Qian and Colby Heimburger to explore Mandarin Chinese and Chinese culture. Not in the classroom, however, but online.
“It’s a little weird,” freshmen Colby Heimburger said. “You have to have online discussions and you don’t really know who you’re talking to.”
An online class comes with many different responsibilities. Unlike the classes provided at school, this class is completely reliant on the student’s ability to complete their work in their spare time.
Freshman Sami Qian described the online class as “a lot more responsibility,” adding that the student in the class must be prepared for “more independent research and solving problems on their own.”
There are many upsides to this system, however. The added independence allows for students to work on their own time with a certain level of comfort.
“There’s less pressure.” Heimburger said. “The teacher can’t yell at you or anything and you can kind of do it on your own time.”
The class only became available in Parkway this year, after last year’s Japanese course. Much like Japanese, Mandarin Chinese is a very complex language, comprised of many different tones that combine to form different words and phrases.
“It is just like playing Lego,” Mandarin teacher Xuan Chen said. “If you know 100 characters, you can mix and match to get up to 500 words…”

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Freshmen Delve Into Mandarin Online Class”

1. Michael Sanford on September 29th, 2017 12:49 pm

It was good, I like it.

2. Noah Berry on October 20th, 2017 12:59 pm

Didn’t even know that this class existed, very nice and interesting article, what other “secret” classes are there?

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• News

DECIDING YOUR FUTURE

• Freshmen Delve Into Mandarin Online Class

News

Countering Carjacking

News

The Closing of Steak ‘n Shake

• News

Coming together to Celebrate Central

News

Remind and Verizon Resolves Their Fee War

Entertainment

Popular artists coming to perform at the Hollywood Casino Amphitheater this summer

News

King of Hearts vs. Homecoming

• News

Public vs Private: the debate on education

News

When Gas Prices Go Down, They Won’t Stay There Very Long

• Boys Soccer

Signing Day: Entering New Eras

The Student News Site of Parkway Central High School