Coming together to Celebrate Central

Wesley Henshaw

Senior AJ Collier talks with Ms. Lindy Drew after the Humans of St. Louis presentation. Humans of St. Louis is a non-profit that shares images and stories of people in the St. Louis region. They share the stories across multiple media platforms to spread awareness.

Jenna Lazaroff, Features Editor

This Friday, March 8th is the third annual Celebrate Central. It’s a time for ALL students and community members to be recognized and a time to learn about our surroundings. With each year, classics return such as the LGBTQ Panel but also new presentations have been added this year.

Transgender 101 is a new presentation being offered this year, during it you will learn about gender identity and what it means to be transgender or non-binary. Participants will broaden their understanding of gender, and receive tips for being a trans ally and resources to thrive as a
trans or non-binary person.

Another new presentation this year is, Vaping: What Does it Mean? Officer Layton will be focusing on the effects of e-cigarettes and vaping.

In the past attendance on this day has continuously been an issue. But this year new rules and different presentations have been put in place to ensure that students are engaged and excited about the learning opportunity.

In Last years set of presentations Jackie Joyner Kersee talked about her experiences being in the olympics and growing up a black women of her time, she also talked about what it takes to really become an olympic medalists and the drive that it requires. But sadly this year she will not be doing a presentation.

With hopes for a good turn out some FACs classes have even contributed and made cookies for the guests to enjoy, it’s a whole school effort with even some of our own students presenting topics that can be difficult.