Letter From the Editor

Wesley Henshaw, Editor-in-Chief

Hello reader, and welcome to our second issue of the year. For our second issue, we decided to take a different approach to a few things and see how it worked.

Mainly, you’ll notice we have a rather consistent topic this time. Rather than a single cover story, we have a cover topic with it culminating in your standard cover story on pages 12 and 13. But aside from the cover story, we have stories on the pages leading up to it on the same topic.

For this issue, our cover topic is all about guns. We have a story about gun advertisements on page nine and a story on guns being sold in stores on page 11. We also have a story about gun violence on page eight and a story about color guard using guns as props on page ten.

What we wanted to do was have a centralized point to branch out from, so the cover story felt more embedded in the issue, not jutting out on its own. I wrote the cover story for this issue, deciding to focus on various aspects of gun control as proposed by the 2020 presidential candidates. I hope it’s clear in my story and in the other stories that our goal is not to push any point of view or politics, just to present issues and educate people about them.

We decided on the issue because of how prevalent it seems the issue of gun violence is in America right now, becoming something that we, as students, are constantly thinking about.

However, we made sure to keep it light in areas. You can still enjoy some fun entertainment stories in the back of the paper and some particularly interesting features as well. Flip to page 21 for a particularly strange story about Mongolian heavy metal by yours truly.

Returning for a second issue is our “Restaurant Rivalry” section by our Op/Ed editor Trey Williams and our Online Managing Editor Alex Maisenhelder. This time they take a look at various ice cream places nearby. They’re often pretty good about community engagement, so make sure to let them know what you want them to do next issue. You can find that on pages 18 and 19.

Also look forward to an interesting story on some changes to the school year calendar that might affect some of you readers. That story’s by our Amari Sewer, and you can find that on page six.

Aside from that, just keep in mind you can still send letters to [email protected] and they might appear in the paper.

I hope you enjoy the issue.

Sincerely,

Wesley Henshaw

Editor-in-Chief of the PCH Corral